It was a big day for me and Peanut. We had an experience that I've dreading since even before I was pregnant, so the fact that it all went so smoothly makes me feel like a superhero urban parent with a champion kid.
Today, we rode the train together into the city and back. AND we took the bus. Two modes of city transportation in one day with a seven week old. In the icy wind and snow.
For years I've been so scared of the idea of navigating public transportation with a kid. In my head, it would be a horrific experience trying to manage a screaming
infant, avoid being pushed around by around a bunch of rude, oblivious, and uncaring city folk, and carry a
bulky stroller up and down the train stairs on my own. Instead, Peanut slept soundly. Both ways. People gave me seats on the train and smiled at Peanut. And I took her out in a baby carrier, so I avoided the stroller trauma. All in all, it was a positive, empowering experience.
Granted, the circumstances were ideal. Peanut's doctor appointment was in the middle of the day, so we didn't have to travel during rush hour. And she's still little enough for me to wear her comfortably. Still, the fact that I managed to time her feedings around our travel times, I was calm and patient with myself throughout our travels, and even managed to stop by a bodega to grab a little egg and cheese on a bagel lunch for myself en route made me feel like a rockstar. Things went so well I almost considered going shopping for a bit after the appointment, but decided not to push my luck.
I didn't manage to get comfortable enough to breastfeed her in public (I brought along a pumped bottle of milk and fed her in the doctor's office before heading back home). And I couldn't figure out how to go to the bathroom since I had no place to put her. We'll address those challenges another time. For now, the opportunity to ride the train and visit the city for the first time since Peanut was born was gratifying enough. It made me feel more like myself than I have in a long time.
hooray!! what a pair of superstars you are!
ReplyDelete