Monday, July 1, 2013

The Fierce Love of a Papa

This past weekend, S, Peanut and I attended the wedding of a family friend.  We anticpated that Peanut would take a nap during the evening reception, but between the bumping DJ, the energized emcee, and the excited wedding guests, the event turned out to be VERY loud.  We decided that one of us should hold little Peanut close, cover her up with a blanket, and rock her during the raucous festivities.  S did so first, and at some point left the room to help soothe our little one.

When he returned to the dinner table, S continued to hold and rock her, and talked to her softly through the blanket.  I decided to check in to ask if he needed some help, as nearly 45 minutes had passed.

Me:  "Aren't you tired of holding her?  I'm happy to take over."

S:  "No, I'm not tired.  I'm very happy holding her in my arms.  I will hold her every day until she's 18 years old.  And longer.  Maybe when she's 21, I'll say, now my arms can rest."

Maybe it was the fact that we were listening to sweet, emotional wedding toasts.  More likely, it's just that S has such a beautiful way with words.  But his comment was so unexpected, and moved me so much, that my chest swelled up and I had to hold back tears.  I simply nodded in response, and turned back to the hoopla on the dance floor.  All I could think was, how lucky is Peanut to be blessed by such a fiercely loving, expressive, and devoted Papa?

1 comment:

  1. SO lucky to be blessed by a fierce loving papa and mama!!!!! This post made my heart soar!

    ReplyDelete