I was a little nervous about this morning's appointment at a special imaging center in the city. At 13 weeks, it was time for us to go through a first trimester screening called a nuchal translucency - a high definition ultrasound that can assess for chromosomal abnormalities and, most commonly, Down's Syndrome. The actual procedure took longer than we expected - apparently, at 13 weeks our little one is pretty wriggly, and the technician spent quite a bit of time coaxing it into the right position to take the measurements. As she scanned, measured, took pictures, and labeled, she pointed out the fetus' various body parts.
"Two legs," she said. After a long pause, "kidneys." Another pause, "spine." She wiggled and jiggled the wand over my belly. "Brain."
We spent a good 20 minutes just watching the cute little fetus dancing around on the screen. The results of the test ultimately turned out to be pretty reassuring - everything looks right on track. And we even got to see a fancy 3-D image where the fetus appeared to be sucking its thumb. It made the experience feel all the more real. We're going to have a baby!
There was some paperwork, and a blood test, and then S and I made a pit stop in the restroom. When I walked in, there was a woman there, crying. I felt my chest seize up a bit. To be crying in this particular doctor's office could not be good. I exited as quickly as I could to try to give her some space. She followed me out the door and proceeded to make a phone call in the hallway where I was waiting for S. "The baby is not okay," she sobbed into the phone. "The baby is not okay." My heart sank for her. She hung up the phone and walked out of the building.
The experience has stayed with me throughout the day, and at the very least, has served as a reminder about both how unpredictable life can be, and the gratitude I feel for the many blessings I have in my life right now. As we end the first trimester and begin the second, I am so, so grateful that our little fetus seems to be healthy and well. I am grateful to have a job with generous benefits, health insurance, and the flexibility to go to these appointments during work hours. I am grateful to have a wonderful partner who accompanies me to each appointment, holds my hand, gives me hugs, and reminds me how lucky we are to be on this magic journey together.
No comments:
Post a Comment