Friday, September 21, 2012

Advice to New Parents

A dear friend recently sent me this great article from the Huffington Post:

My Advice to New Moms: Anything But Babywise

I loved it, agreed with it, and appreciated the reminders that "childbirth is just one really rough day," and that "if you don't control your tendency to be controlling you will imprison yourself."  I hope S and I will be the kind of parents who simply try to do our best, don't get caught up in the moral imperatives, and trust that our kid will end up okay in the end.  Even if we end up using disposable diapers or jarred baby food more often than we'd like. 

This article will serve as a useful touchstone during the next year.  Please send it to me if you find I suddenly become consumed by baby sock organizing. 

2 comments:

  1. This would be impossible for me:
    "Don't fix it when your partner dresses the baby in two types of stripes."

    Really??

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, I guess the point is..don't be a hero?

    ReplyDelete