Despite the fact that S and I celebrated our one-year anniversary with a lovely fancy dinner out on Sunday night, it seemed that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed on Monday morning. As soon as I arrived at work, I realized I was feeling really off. I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong or why. I scanned my body and tried to figure it out. Was I getting sick? Was I overwhelmed by a big project at work? Did I not sleep well enough? I just didn't feel like myself.
I continued to feel worse and worse all day long. I was nauseous and couldn't eat my breakfast so I went downstairs to buy a muffin. I couldn't eat my lunch, so I went out and bought a sandwich. As I worked through the afternoon, I became more and more irritable. I avoided interacting with my coworkers. The little one started moving excessively on my right side. What had the day before been cute and exciting became annoying and invasive. I put my hand on my belly willed the movement to stop. It didn't. I sighed and tried to ignore it, all the while fearing how I would manage when the "flutters" turned into full-blown kicks.
After an evening of running errands at the city's most annoyingly crowded grocery store, I finally made it home to eat dinner and watch some mindless television. And still, I felt off. I was cranky at the TV. I finally crawled into bed and hoped to sleep the awkward feelings away. The little one began to move again. S joined me in bed and put his arm around me. I felt like I couldn't breathe.
"Please don't touch me," I snapped. S pulled away, confused. "I'm not feeling well. I need space." And with that, I burst into tears. I got up abruptly, left the room, and decided to sleep on the couch. S followed me a few minutes later.
"Please leave me alone," I bawled. "I'm not feeling good."
"Just come to bed," he said softly.
"NO," I replied. "Leave me alone." So he did.
Twenty minutes later I still couldn't sleep. My neck was sore from doing pre-natal yoga the day before. I was restless and I couldn't lay still. I wanted to shake my arms and legs, to run around and scream. I wanted to turn off my brain and stop the racing in my chest. Instead, all I did was cry. A lot. And then I went back to bed. S, in an effort to respect my wishes, didn't react to my arrival. I tapped him on the arm, forcing him to pay attention to me again.
"I don't know what to do," I said. "I can't stand this. I don't know what's wrong with me. And my neck hurts." Tears poured down my face.
"Why don't I make you some tea?" he suggested.
So he did. We sat together in the kitchen at midnight, sipping chamomile. I was numb from the exhaustion of managing such a weird and terrible day, but the warm liquid brought much-needed relief as I finally began to relax. We once again returned to bed, and I fell asleep within minutes. By Tuesday morning, I felt like myself again. It was as if Monday had never happened.
Hormones? Too many to-dos? Feeling overwhelmed by change? I'm still not quite sure what fueled my meltdown. Perhaps it was just a part of the process of going through such a massive life transition. All I know now is I'm glad our little one's movements seem sweet once again. And I'm going to stock up on chamomile tea.
No comments:
Post a Comment