While we always lived quite a distance apart, the impact my grandmother had on me as a fierce, opinionated, wise female role model was significant. One of the many things I loved about her was her extensive knowledge of home remedies. She regularly read Gujarati newspapers and would store away the anecdotes she found like a squirrel. Then she would offer frequent suggestions for even the smallest of ailments - apply breast milk on the face for acne, drink a few drops of peppermint oil in water for a stomach ache, a little of this for mosquito bites and some of that to make your skin glow. I remember being annoyed by (and sometimes grossed out by) her directions as a kid, and yet loving the fact that she was caring for me and my wellness by spreading egg whites all over my face.
It was the absence of this wisdom that I was feeling so deeply during this visit. I had always wanted her to be a part of my pregnancy experience. Even though my coming out as queer created an emotional wedge between us, she still loved me and I trust she would have shared her advice, prepared concoctions, and pampered me in her stern, tough-love kind of way.
One night, I asked my aunt if she remembered any of the tips my grandmother had shared while she was pregnant with my cousins. She gave it some thought but couldn't remember much. Then she pulled out a notebook. "I forgot I had written some things down," she said. We pored over the notes together:
- Kesar, badam and pista in warm milk
- Papaya
- During the third trimester methi paak to prepare the body for delivery; also after delivery to cleanse the body
It was significant to me that the first time I returned to my grandmother's house after her death was while carrying her great-grandchild. I felt her energy surround me. While I missed her, I was grateful for the opportunity to spend a few days remembering what a remarkable person she was. Hopefully, our little one will reap the benefits of her wisdom in spirit.
Oh my goodness, this is such a special post. I did not want it to end. I'm so happy that you got to spend that time with your aunt! Also, that you'll drink it with soy milk
ReplyDelete