Friday, December 14, 2012

Becoming a Trans Dad

Post by S

Sing along...
"I am a boyish tranny
Getting ready 2 b a daddy
A little scared of getting a nanny
And once I had dreams of becoming a mommy"
LOL.

I am in the process of getting ready to become a parent ...a dad
And it's such a transforming experience ...I will be a transdad!
And I will share w my kid my memories of childhood
You know... when I was around 7 yr old... I used to play divorced mama! 
I don't deny my history as a woman...as a little girl who loved playing with dolls. 

I look forward to this experience of being a dad 
and my experience as a dad will be informed by my experiences in the world 
as a woman as a lesbian as a feminist as a transman as a man who knows what it means to have had menstruation, fear of breast cancer, or experiences of sexual harassment and sexism... 
a man who knows what it means to have my representation of masculinity questioned... 
a man who knows what it feels... 
how sad it feels and the responsibility that it implies to have the instant impact of causing fear when sharing the bus with a woman late at night...
and it all informs the kind of dad I will be. 

I am so looking forward to sharing with my child. 
To guiding them....
to supporting them...
to share in love, tenderness and compassion the amazing complexities of life and the lessons of gender and power and the importance of self-acceptance and gentleness towards ourselves and others! 
Oh my, I am so excited to be a dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment