It has been a weird couple of weeks. My office building was impacted by superstorm Sandy and we haven't yet been able to return to the space. So we've been working from home and in temporary offices scattered around the city, trying to piece together some semblance of routine despite not really being prepared with the tools we need to work remotely.
For me, working from home has mostly been an great blessing during this third trimester. I've never worked from home before, and always thought I would be someone who couldn't freelance or telecommute for lack of discipline. What I've learned about myself during the past two weeks is that, in fact, I am really good at establishing boundaries and routines for myself when I'm held accountable to a job. It's not like being in school, sitting at the library and procrastinating on writing a paper. I've actually been waking up at a regular time, eating and taking breaks on a schedule, starting work earlier and focusing when I'm at my desk, and even finding time to exercise and take care of household tasks in ways that are much harder to do when I have to commute two hours each day. Not having to take the crowded train and deal with the stress of being pushed around and finding a seat has been simply wonderful. The few days I have had to go into the city I've realized how much I'm enjoying the escape from the rat race while pregnant. Being home has vastly improved my quality of life.
I do miss being in an office and seeing my colleagues, and generally, I think I'm someone who thrives on being a part of an office culture. I look forward to being back in our building at some point. But for now, my new normal has left me more well-rested than I've been in a long time, something I've appreciated as I've been getting more achy and tired with each passing week. The ability to feel, massage, and talk with our super active little one throughout each day has been a great perk of working from the privacy of home.
No comments:
Post a Comment