Monday, December 5, 2011

Consultation #2

S and I were back at the clinic today for a follow up conversation with our primary doctor.  She reviewed my test results and reported she wanted to discuss a infertility diagnosis.  While my hormone levels looked okay, with a long history of anovulation and significant facial hair growth, she was diagnosing me with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or PCOS.

I was simultaneously relieved and concerned.  It was nice to finally - FINALLY - have a name for my experience after all these years of irregular menstrual cycles and confusing visits to gynecologists and feeling so anxious that something was wrong with my body and I might not be able to conceive a child.  No wonder I wasn't able to chart my basal body temperature!  I had PCOS!  I wasn't a failure!

Immediately after our visit I went to the Internet and read all about the condition.  It was also a relief to know that my insurance would likely cover my services at the clinic with this diagnosis.

And at the same time - I was being diagnosed with infertility??  

The doctor confirmed that between my young age, my healthy test results, and the assistance of fertility meds, she thought our chances of conception were good. We should be able to start TTC as soon as I got my next period.  I decided to put the "I" word aside for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment