Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Guaiphenesin

Last week, S and I took the day off so he could visit the dentist and have two of his wisdom teeth removed.  While we sat for endless hours in the waiting room, a TV talk show called "The Revolution" aired with a focus on fertility.  I sat up a little straighter in my chair and sushed S when he tried to talk to me about unrelated matters.  I wanted to gather up all the tips I could get. 

In addition to some of the nutrition-related tips I already knew (eat lots of protein and dairy, which I have been doing), the TV doctor mentioned that cough syrup (guaiphenesin) might be a good thing to take around the time of ovulation to help thin out cervical mucous.  So I searched the web for more info.  While it's not backed up by much research, folks say that Clomid can actually increase "hostile" (i.e. thick) mucous, so taking guiphenasin can help make CM more "friendly" to sperm trying to get through the cervix.  However, for folks only trying IUIs (which bypass the cervix), taking this step won't really help.

Nevertheless, I figure it can't hurt to try, right?  Anything I can do for my body to help create a favorable environment for conception is worth it to me.  The prescription: 2 teaspoons of guiphenasin, 3 times per day for five days, with plenty of water.  Let's give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment