Well, things this cycle haven't gone quite as expected. I ended up going into the clinic on Day 17 (last Monday), as instructed, since I hadn't yet gotten a positive ovulation test. I met with a doctor who determined that my follicles hadn't grown. The largest was at 13mm. At this point during the first cycle, I had already used Ovidrel to trigger ovulation. This time, there was nothing to trigger. The doctor advised me to keep checking the ovulation kits for a few more days, and to return to the clinic on Thursday. The truth was, I hadn't felt anything in my ovaries during the entire week. I thought it was my body getting used to the Clomid. In fact, it wasn't responding.
However, later that day, I ended up getting a positive ovulation test. I was totally confused. I began to question the doctor's exam, thinking that she hadn't looked closely enough at my left ovary. "Perhaps she missed a larger follicle," I thought. I called the nurse's line and was told to report to the clinic for another ultrasound on Tuesday morning.
S came with me on Tuesday - Valentine's Day. We were uncertain whether or not we'd be ready for an IUI, so we figured it would be safer for him to come with me. Unfortunately, it was confirmed my follicles hadn't grown. The ovulation test was a false positive, which the doctor said was common in people with PCOS. They drew blood and gave me a prescription for more Clomid - 100mg/day for another five days. A "step-up," they called it, to see if my follicles would grow more during this cycle rather than have to wait to get my period and start another cycle from scratch. The risk is that I might end up producing too many follicles, in which case we won't inseminate, lest, the doctor said, I "end up on the cover of the New York Post."
So today is Day 22 of my cycle. I just finished my five day dose of Clomid, and have, this time, been feeling some activity, especially in the right ovary. I report back to the clinic on Tuesday, 2/21. Fingers crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment