Monday, June 4, 2012

6 weeks, 4 days, First Ultrasound

“Have you been exhausted?”
“Yes.”
“Have you had tender breasts?”
“Yes.”
“Any nausea?”
“Yes!”
“Excellent, those are all the good signs we’re looking for!”

S and I went to the clinic today for our first pregnancy ultrasound. It was confirmed that we are 6 weeks and 4 days pregnant, and it looks like all is right on track. “You have a perfect, single pregnancy!” the doctor exclaimed. An interesting remark, I thought, but within the context of a fertility clinic, I guess it’s a victory to have a simple outcome to an IUI or IVF procedure. She measured the developing fetus (right now, it is about the size of a grain of rice) and pointed out the yolk sack. It was hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that there is a small being growing inside me. And yet, it was so moving to see its little heartbeat! It’s a small miracle that something so tiny could already have a strong, thumping heart. S shed a couple tears and squeezed my hand. He later told me, “I guess I never really thought I would get to be a dad.”

No comments:

Post a Comment