Saturday, June 2, 2012

Reassuring Nausea... and Other Symptoms

I haven't had a chance to post a pregnancy update in a while, so this is just a quickie to report on symptoms.  I'm not quite sure whether I'm at 6 or 7 weeks as of today, but for the past two weeks or so, I've been experiencing some pretty distinct first trimester symptoms.  Extreme thirst, having to pee frequently, painfully swollen boobs, and utter exhaustion have persisted through the past two weeks or so.  It has all been pretty manageable.

And then earlier this week, the nausea set in.

Oh, the nausea.  It is not fun.  Admittedly, compared to the extremes of nausea and flu-related vomiting I've been through in my life, this past week has been pretty okay.  It has mostly been a mild, constant feeling of queasiness in my gut, especially when I'm very hungry or I eat too much.  I pretty quickly figured out that if I eat smaller meals, snack frequently, drink lots of water and seltzer, and rely pretty heavily on carbs, I can get through a day without terrible bouts of nausea.  Though it has made trying to plan meals pretty difficult - one day a salad sounds great, the next, it repulses me.  I've been buying random groceries based on what doesn't disgust me on a day-to-day basis and hoping they don't ultimately go to waste. 

Annoying as it is, some internet research on managing nausea helped me re-frame the experience as one that is "reassuring."  Apparently, people who experience nausea in their first trimesters are less likely to have miscarriages.  And it is a concrete sign, in lieu of a baby bump, that I am, indeed, pregnant.  For that, I am impressed by my body's capacity to continue to communicate with me through this beautiful and mysterious biological process.

No comments:

Post a Comment