Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sharing the News

This weekend, S and I plan to tell my parents that we are expecting.  I’m nervous and excited.  While I know my parents are eager to be grandparents, I’m not sure how they will take the news.  Will they be happy?  Will they have questions about how we got pregnant?  Once they know we used donor sperm, will they accept our child as “legitimate?”  Will they honor S as the father of the child?  Will they be warm and loving, or cold and distant? 

This is just the beginning of our journey to create a queer family – I have so many other questions and fears about how our child will navigate a world with parents who are out except around this set of grandparents, who are still struggling with their own queer/transphobia.  At the moment, I’m trying to just hope that they will respond in a somewhat positive manner.  To receive anything less might be too devastating for me to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment